Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What are 11 things your life doesn't need in 2011? (Part 1)

I've had a couple friends take part in Reverb10 this December. It's a daily reflective writing project. I liked this question because I'm so used to thinking about what my life needs and not what I can get rid of for a better one.


So, here's my attempt of 11 things my life doesn't need in 2011
(I am writing this in 2 parts for a couple reasons. First, it's late and I'm sleepy... Second, it's actually really hard to think of 11 things... Third, I really want to blog today (as part of my blogging challenge)... so, here's part one:


11. Debt
Carrying around dumb debt (which would be like credit card debt vs. student loans or mortgage) is like trying to run with 20 pound ankle weights. It's a drag and keeps you from getting to where you want to go. I don't have much debt, but in 2011, I don't want any!


10. Pessimism.
I heard this quote once, "I don't see the glass half empty, I see it as half full...just full of poison." Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy. I can be sensitive to criticism or overly self-critical. I imagine worst case scenarios. I get paralyzed by fear. It's not hopeful. It's not trusting. In 2011, I want to be hopeful, trusting, and optimistic.


9. Running late
I've always been chronically 10 minutes late to anything. I don't like rushing to get ready. I don't estimate travel times well. I schedule things back to back. I don't like the feeling from arriving late to a meeting, walking in late, or my driving when I am running late. I've tried setting my clocks ahead 5, 10, and 24 minutes ahead but that just got confusing. I hope in 2011, I will make better use of my time and not rush so much.


8. Crappy TV Shows
I love watching a great television show, especially in the company of friends. There are some really funny, witty, touching, and thrilling shows right now...and some not so great ones, that are often addicting. I used to have a great routine before bed, I'd read, think, and often fall asleep praying. Thanks to Hulu, that routine's been shot to hell. In 2011, I'd love to be intentional about what great television shows I want to watch next year...and which ones I don't want to get hooked on. 


7. Injuries or Sickness
My 2011 goal is to train for a marathon and in the process my hope is to get stronger and healthier. I feel like I've had my fair share (and then some) of colds, allergies, and minor aches and pains this past year. As I approach the first, I feel healthy, and would like it to stay that way! 


6. Not getting enough sleep
There's enough evidence out there about the importance of getting a good night's rest. I used to be so, so, so good about getting 8 hours of sleep. I almost always fell asleep reading, before bed, which is way better for your mind (and dreams) than watching tv before bed. I really want to get back to that in 2011.



If only we were ringing in 2006, this would be a complete list.
With that being said, stay tuned for the rest tomorrow...good night!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Template by Delicious Design Studio